With sales of EUR 12.4 billion in 2019, Covestro is a world leading manufacturer of high-tech polymer materials for key industries. Its thermoplastic composite business focuses on the manufacturing of continuous fiber-reinforced thermoplastics (CFRTP) that enable cost-effective volume production of lightweight components for a wide range of industries.
Maezio® thermoplastic composites are based on polycarbonate (PC), reinforced with UD (unidirectional) carbon (CF) or glass fibers (GF). The resulting UD tapes can be directly processed to parts or laminated at different angles to form sheets tuned to a specific mechanical performance objective and then thermoformed into different shapes and geometries. Adding product features can be integrated during the thermal compression molding process for considerably simplified assembly.
The PC matrix material exhibits high fracture toughness and its amorphous character enables an exceptional surface appearance due to the low processing shrinkage during part cooling and demolding.
Design and Simulation
- Concept design, material selection and development of tailored material solutions
- Process simulation for draping, forming and injection moulding
- Structural simulation of part behaviour and geometry optimization
- Maezio® continuous fiber-reinforced thermoplastic composites general & flame retardant products (CF/PC and GF/PC)
- Maezio® UD tapes: Uni-directional tapes on rolls in different lengths and widths for tape winding, tape laying and local reinforcements
- Maezio® UD sheets: Laminated multilayer sheets with customized fibre orientations for thermoforming and compression moulding
- Thermoplastic resins and films (PC, PC blends, TPU)
Process Optimization and Consulting
- Technical support and testing of material data
- Application development and production of prototypes
- Consulting on manufacturing processes and processing parameters
Find out more about Maezio®.
- New market entries & Joint Business Development for UD Tapes
- Partnerships for Application & Technology Development for UD Tapes